Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine

Hand FAQ


My doctor told me I should see a hand therapist for a condition called Dupuytren's disease. What's so special about a hand therapist? Can't I see my regular therapist? How do I find a hand therapist?


A certified hand therapist (CHT) has special training with specific hand problems. This health care specialist is usually a physical or occupational therapist who has taken extra training. They must pass a special test called a certification exam. This shows their knowledge of all topics related to hand therapy.

With more information about each hand problem, the CHT can perform accurate assessments and offer effective treatment. The end result is reduced treatment time and financial savings for the patient. Often the patient can get back to work sooner, too for an even greater savings.

For more information, try checking out the American Society of Hand Therapists at: http://www.asht.org. Click on "Patient Information" to find out more about hand therapists including a directory of registered hand specialists.

Kingsley Paul Draviaraj, MRCS Ed, and Indranil Chakrabarti, FRCS Ed (Orth). Functional Outcome after Surgery for Dupuytren's Contracture: A Prospective Study. InThe Journal of Hand Surgery. September 2004. Vol. 29A. No. 5. Pp. 804-808.

*Disclaimer:* The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.
All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Our Specialties

Where Does It Hurt?

Our Locations

  Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter