Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine

Wrist FAQ


I hurt my wrist playing football. The doctor told me I have a "Class 1B TFCC." What does this mean?


TFCC stands for triangular fibrocartilage complex and describes a cartilage pad that rests where the ulna bone of the forearm meets the "pinky" side of the wrist.

The name this injury gets depends on which part of the cartilage has been damaged. Class 1A refers to tears right in the middle. Class 1B tells the surgeon that the ligament has torn away from the end of the ulna bone in the forearm. Classes 1C and 1D identify two other places where this tough, fibrous material has been torn.

There are additional ways to classify or name this particular injury. When the damage occurs as a result of degenerative changes from aging, both the location and the severity are named. These names may not mean much to patients, but they are important for doctors when surgery is required.

*Disclaimer:* The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.
All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Our Specialties

Where Does It Hurt?

Our Locations

  Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter