Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine

Shoulder FAQ


I had a grade four AC joint separation playing rugby last year. Even though I had surgery to repair it I still don't have my full motion back. I've done all the rehab required. What can I do?


Talk to the orthopedic surgeon who did your surgery. It could be that the type of repair done can't restore normal motion and function. This is often the case with AC repairs. If screws, wires, or sutures were used the hardware may give you lots of stability but not as much mobility.

The doctor will be able to assess your joint and possibly take X-rays to find out what's wrong. It's possible nothing else can be done. Perhaps a second surgery is needed to modify the repair.

Paul W. Grutter, MD, and Steve A. Petersen, MD. Anatomical Acromioclavicular Ligament Reconstruction. In The American Journal of Sports Medicine. November 2005. Vol. 33. No. 11. Pp. 1723-1728.

*Disclaimer:* The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.
All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Our Specialties

Where Does It Hurt?

Our Locations

  Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter