Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine

Elbow FAQ


My daughter's elbow has been causing her a lot of pain and the doctor said that she has to have surgery to repair some damage, called osteochondral lesions. What type of surgery is this?


Only your doctor can tell you what type of surgery is being considered for your daughter, however, there are a few different types of treatments that are done through surgery.

Traditionally, most doctors who operate on this problem do what is called a debriding, or removing dead tissue. This clears the area and removes any loose bits that may be present. Another procedure is called a microfracture. To do this procedure, the doctor makes a small incision and uses a tiny drill to make several very small holes in the bone right next to the problem area. When the holes are drilled, the bone marrow seeps out and makes new tissue, healing the lesion. Patrick Ansah, MD, et al. Osteochondral Transplantation to Treat Osteochondral Lesions in the Elbow. In Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. October 2007. Vol. 89A. No. 10. Pp. 2188-2193.

*Disclaimer:* The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.
All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Our Specialties

Where Does It Hurt?

Our Locations

  Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter