Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine

Elbow FAQ


What type of doctor does repairs like for a torn tendon?


Orthopedic surgeons are doctors who specialize in operating on the areas of the musculoskeletal system. This includes bones, ligaments (tissue that holds the bones/joints together), tendons (tissue that holds muscle to bone), and muscles.

Surgeons who choose this specialty go through medical school as do other doctors. They then choose to follow a residency (specialization) in orthopedics. Orthopedic surgeons can perform procedures that range from amputating an arm or a leg, to using a tiny camera and surgical instruments to see inside a knee to repair a tear in the knee cartilage.

The surgeons can also specialize within the specialty. This means they can be pediatric orthopedic surgeons, work in sports medicine, focus on reconstruction, or work with patients who have been in accidents, to name a few. Jon Henry, MD, et al. Biomechanical Analysis of Distal Biceps Tendon Repair Methods. In The American Journal of Sports Medicine. November 2007. Vol. 35. No. 11. Pp. 1949-1954.

*Disclaimer:* The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.
All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Our Specialties

Where Does It Hurt?

Our Locations

  Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter