Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine

Foot FAQ


I have heel spurs. What are my treatment options?


For starters, heel spur syndrome--the condition brought on by bony growths on the heel--usually requires that you rest the sore foot. Physical therapy is also a good option. A physical therapist uses heat and cold, heel cushions, and special exercises to get you back on your feet. Your doctor may also prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs to ease your recovery. When pain still won't go away, your doctor may suggest injecting steroid medicine into the sore area. 

A small percentage of patients don't get relief after trying these treatments for several months. If you're one of them, you may want to find out about surgery to remove the spur. So far, patients have had good results from a new endoscopic procedure, which uses a small camera-like device to find and remove bone spurs. This procedure may be an option for you further down the road.

*Disclaimer:* The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.
All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Our Specialties

Where Does It Hurt?

Our Locations

  Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter