Houston Methodist. Leading Medicine

Foot FAQ


My mother has severe pain in her foot that her doctor said was arthritis. It's getting harder for her to walk - is there anything they can do for it?


Without knowing exactly what your mother's problems are, it would be impossible to give a realistic suggestion that your mother can use. A lot depends on what type of arthritis your mother has, where exactly in the foot it is,and if anything has been tried before.

In some situations, people with arthritis in the foot do well with special shoes or inserts in their shoes. Others do well with surgery. It's important to discuss her options with her doctor and, if needed, a surgeon, to see what can be done. John Riel, Daniel Tomaszewski, and Gerard Cush. Midfoot arthritis: evaluation and treatment, surgical and nonsurgical. In Current Orthopaedic Practice. May/June 2008. Vol. 19. No. 3. Pp. 249-252.

*Disclaimer:* The information contained herein is compiled from a variety of sources. It may not be complete or timely. It does not cover all diseases, physical conditions, ailments or treatments. The information should NOT be used in place of visit with your healthcare provider, nor should you disregard the advice of your health care provider because of any information you read in this topic.
All content provided by eORTHOPOD® is a registered trademark of Medical Multimedia Group, L.L.C.. Content is the sole property of Medical Multimedia Group, LLC and used herein by permission.

Our Specialties

Where Does It Hurt?

Our Locations

  Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on YouTube
Follow us on Twitter